Regenerative Valuation of Seeds, proposals and projects.

Regenerative Valuation of Seeds, proposals and projects.

There are a few characteristics of Seeds that first caught my attention as a Regenerative Steward. One of them being Seeds has inherent value. Not only does this mimic Nature, it is one of SEEDS living principles by which our work becomes that of efficient evolution towards a greening and blossoming future where actual gardens become the wealth of our planet. Seeds will have served it’s function. No time like the present to begin the exploration of how to insure this inherent value of Seeds becomes a primary vehicle of growth.

@Aryabhatta brought my contemplations back to this positing by his concerns regarding the rising cost of Seeds being a deterrent to distribution within fiat poor communities, already challenged by access to the internet and wallet. If SEEDS can’t help communities impacted by desertification, warfare and dislocation, then it isn’t doing the work of regeneration.

Ponder this: If Seeds has inherent value, then establishing fixed value (at any given time) for a Seed shifts this seeds’ given-value to that of ‘bean-counting.’ The sole emphasis becomes ‘how many beans’ (and by familiar effect, ‘who many beans’) rather than what is inherent within that Bean which includes the following considerations: Genetic selection over time by Stewards through creative hybridization, the RNA signaling the Bean has receive throughout its development within the mother plant, the season, time and place of it’s growth, the diversity it represents, flavor gained through orchestration and dance of mineral and microbial. The narrative is endlessly complex. A deterrent to the task at hand. Not at all! (haha)

A seed of a proposal:

Seeds are assigned a relative and shifting value according the the regenerative practice they support.

To follow are two offerings: First and true to my word to @Aryabhatta, I have an idea. So the example scenario I offer is both an illustration of a vehicle by which this inherent value of Seeds can be put to the test, at least in illustration by comparing it to an existing highly successful project with inherent similarities.
Second, I will share an effective and practiced holistic certification metric measuring Regeneration growing systems called DemPure. Despite the complexity of regenerative systems there are commonalities by which we course correct assigned value and distribution of Seeds in a way which excites us.

First offering:
In the early 90’s, I was part of a committee by which the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market established the WIC Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (FMNP)
WIC Farmers Market Nutritional Program
This is an extremely successful and large government supported program. What makes it an interesting case study is that WIC is a coupon which carries intrinsic value. By establishing this value within the ecosystem of Farmers’ Markets, the intrinsic value becomes amplified to support regenerative systems (local markets).

WIC stands for Women, Infants and Children and is a coupon which can be traded for a certain number and type of food that has an associated inherent value; that is associated with ‘basic nutrition’. I used WIC as a young, single mother and was downhearted that the only Milk, Eggs, Cheese and Cereal allowed were of a certain generic brand and cost and definitely not organic. Once these coupons were accepted by our local farmers’ markets, suddenly a whole new customer base was established strengthening relationship with farmers and local food in satisfaction of true nutritional need.

A market management role was expanded by which these coupons were gathered and exchanged for fiat currency and the coupons redeemed according to protocol.

What an overlay of Seeds looks like in a similar scenario:
Seeds is distributed equally to those participating in ‘the program’ (a food desert anywhere USA for example).
Seeds can be spent on food without limitations. (a soda at the gas station, a carton of runny eggs).
If Seeds is spent at the gas station it has little relative value (1/2x).
If Seeds is spent at the local farmers’ market, the value is increased (2x).
If Seeds is spent within the market system on a regenerative farm (designated according to various certifications like DemPure or organic), the value increases. (3x) etc.
This relative valuation supports both an equal distribution and the placing of agency and responsive discrimination back to the individual, allowing for discovery of regenerative systems naturally and locally (maybe there are local certifications at work within the community of markets, a ‘better than free’ system of regenerative flow).

There are many grants being offered through the WIC program. Perhaps there is a way to garner grant fiat money to establish a pilot program using Seeds along side WIC…

Second offering:
DemPure Certification for Regenerative Cannabis Growers:
http://dempurefarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/DEMPureCertificate.pdf

Visioned and executed by Regenerative Farm, Dragon Fly Earth Medicine: Dragonfly Earth Medicine | Pure Farms
This certification goes beyond recommending specifics towards establishing certain protocols necessary in regenerative systems, namely: Utilizing closed loop systems (6 in the case of this certification), stacked functions, cover crops, water harvesting, myco-remediation practices, diversity in crops, soil food web education, fair price of products, etc. The metrics can be simple while the application rich and complex.

What are the regenerative matrices we can use to assign value to the Seeds we distribute. Perhaps there is value we can assign looking to the following illustration:

From seed to fruiting, a plant goes through various cycles which in Natural Farming mimic the lifecycle of a female human, from infancy to death. The health of the plant determines the quality, viability and strength of successional generations. The soil is built in part by the return of at least 40% of the entire plant material. So allowing for this return to the system and allowance for a smaller though enhanced harvest. And then, what of the harvest. Harvest becomes something other than consumption. It is trade, local tokens, hybridization according to favor and taste, local and specific. How in an economy is the SOIL accounted for? It’s water holding capacity, increased fertility, mineral content and conductivity, it’s inherent diversity and successional resilience. All these metrics to be found
inherent
inside
each
Seed.

A signaling capacity to future generations…far from bean counting.

offered in our RE meeting:

Regen Index Markers

New avenues of defining value and proposing metrics for Proposals and SEEDS economy and token. (introducing the concept of a variable value).

Regenerative Valuation through Holistic Assessment of Pilot Solution Space as Fertile Soil for Network Learning for Eco-systemic Transformation (Justin Joseph)

Exploring the inherent value of Seeds within its distribution potential as a way to support and amplify regenerative practices.

Facilitator (Eagle): Tina Trout (LaLa Gardens)

What say Us? @Bart @Storytellers @Aryabhatta @Melanie @RachelR @thaynara @mbh66 @Rieki @IndraWouivre @r_explorers_core

8 Likes

Now, this excites my little green heart. :dancer: I’ll be waiting for the recording to learn more and understand how I can contribute best. I put a note in the google doc that I am interested in weaving in the multiple capitals in one way or another, but I would like to see your introduction first. :raised_hands: Thank you for this beautiful gift @LaLaGardens :fire::seedling:

Thank you @LaLaGardens

I’m in - and would love to be part of this. While reading I had the idea of a DHO that offers the service to SEEDS to evaluate projects based on regenerative impact. Maybe we would need to have a programmer on board who could help that all the measurable facts can be woven into the proposals. For scaling this we would need both: the human wisdom and a programmed backbone. The beauty of this is that this could be one service we can offer beyond the SEEDS ecosystem.
This could help in two ways:

1. Helping to onboard others who get to know us via this service. It would be a got way of story telling
  2. Re-direct money flows into the SEEDS System as we would be paid in SEEDS and the external organizations would have to pay in SEEDS which the would need to buy

→ just idea’s not fully thought through

2 Likes

This is what I felt, but did not have the right words to describe. Thank’s @LaLaGardens

2 Likes

This is beautiful and it feels like a massive breakthrough is coming that might let the river of Seeds flow deep into the desert of the real.

One question. When you describe relative valuation:
“If Seeds is spent at the gas station it has little relative value (1/2x).
If Seeds is spent at the local farmers’ market, the value is increased (2x).
If Seeds is spent within the market system on a regenerative farm (designated according to various certifications like DemPure or organic), the value increases. (3x) etc.”

The different values increase for the buyers as well as the sellers? Or, just for the sellers?.. Or maybe there can even be combinations of that?
Anyways, it is such an elegant formula!

I’m in! This is gonna be fun of the most serious kind. I wouldn’t dare to miss it
Thanks high flying eagle!

What We Measure
There is a permeable membrane to be negotiated in passing between living systems, including systems of an elemental nature, arguably living, yet inert. Foundational, these ‘elemental systems’ can be identified as Water, Earth, Fire, Atmosphere and Ether. Nutritive to life, their function can be described as ‘containing’ as well as foundational. The containing function of soil as ‘sponge’ within the hydrological cycle is at once a battery, a distributed network of thriving microbial worlds and whorls, a dynamic, incomprehensible complexity of functions ‘governed’ by it’s earthen nature, originated from clays, silts and sands. Membranes arise as strata almost, nesting within nesting within containing complexities over time, arise from sustaining quorums of populations, functions, and diversities. The function of these membranes are time and place dependent in expression and by function, protect, regulate, communicate, and distribute through redundancies and elegant utility all within the containing function; Soil as sponge, as battery, as life-generating. Membranes arise by design through necessity, evolution, and devolution, continually responsive. Magnetic in flow.

Redundancies are repeated (same but different) from one elemental system to another. As above, so below. A tree as a responsive quorum of solar-panel leaves, intra and extracellular navigations and communications for lack of mobility, harvests and harnesses nutrients from elements of Atmosphere, Earth and Water through circularity: clouds and understory, soil and companion plants, animals, insects and microbes. Trees, regulating, complex membranes themselves, through their function, provide fruit, dappled light and transpiration by which other systems evolve and thrive. The hydrological cycle becomes dynamically visible and experiential to the two and four legged, the grinders, choppers, and digesters, themselves bubbles of hydrological functioning, nested and signaling.

What is measurement within complex and diverse functions of circularity, even gaining in complexity left to succession as we want to in our ‘Regenerative Movement’? Identified as a movement rather than creation of a system as if new, because if truly regenerative, our task is to simply self-identify or self-discover within systems we are already a part of and had only the mental construct or ‘assumption of separation’ to navigate toward Etheric, observational (self-aware) understanding of our connectivity. The entire system of creation will simply halt to teach one of it’s own the connections ignored by our actions out of balance. Placing our selves within the hydrology system as water beings, as containers of nested complexities, we begin to see how measurement emerges along the margins of our ability to see, articulate, and act from within the balance of intricate, elemental containers and membranes as a functioning responsive part. With our ability to self-reflect (Ether, tools by which we ‘see’ the stars and ourselves), lies the capacity to understand the relationships between these nesting functions. There exists always a kind of interrelation mirroring. Consider: Clay w/o Water, Humans w/o Microbes, Plants w/o Humans, Earth w/o Plants.

Clay alone. Water alone. Plants alone. Humans alone. Endless potential uses and functions. Mutable and ever changing without end. We do this through commodification. We break down the functions of things-together into things-separate, utilitarian and lifeless. System less. Other. Waste as an inevitable end-result of loss of function within a larger system. Data is something we collect from the endless derivation and isolation of parts within larger systems to understand complexity. Isolating body parts to understand a living system that is dead in function will never reveal itself. It really is this simple. Waste only exists when the parts are separated from a functioning whole. Waste results from a crisis of imagination, a blindness to function, a loss of balance. Data. Isolated measurements.

From within a functional point of view as a part of the ecology we are waking to, what measurements are important rather than possible? We’ve proven our talent and proclivity for derivatives and production. As water beings, in function a currency of information, a narrative of all the things we are a part of, made of, connected to. No lack of currency, what water animates and holds. As water, we are within the currency of all living systems. If lack, if system break down, then recharge through reciprocity. Reciprocity simply the whole system recognition of give and receive, negative, positive, the two sides of the mirror, the allowance of flow, of currency. Value in this allowance for a whole-systems functioning becomes life-giving and sustaining, defined as holding capacity or the function of containing. The function of nesting withing containing systems. The function of people, plants, animals and insects, the function of the elemental systems in relationship with living systems. Those functions within place and time.

Measurements through Functions becomes: Stacked functions, nested functions, holding capacities, protected functions, evolved functions, functions of redundancies and complexities. Closes loops and zero waste. Diversity. Reciprocities. Responsive systems. Self-regulations. Resilience through redundancies. Signaling capacities. Epigenetics and RNA signaling. Quorum. Feedback loops. Sowing and harvesting. Generational foraging. Gardens. Our capacity for Joy and play. Observational discovery. Desire to share. Call to Stewardship.

Stewardship of living systems in place and time, the voice and song of these places, received with gratitude for what true demonstration is. Proof of concept becomes proof of function. Demonstration Garden, a garden on the path of stewarded succession becomes archetype. Becomes a living constellation of signaling, reflective, amplifying life. Measured by capacity to hold an unrestrained joy of living. Few questions by active celebration of a life lived in balance. @anahealingwords @Rieki

1 Like

Beautiful how the regenerative valuation of Seeds is coming to life here! I love what you have written @LaLaGardens

I have 2 thoughts I would like to share about regenerative valuation of Seeds:

It makes sense to me that this is hard to make economically sustainable with Seeds because if money is spent at a gas station, why would you choose Seeds when this will make your purchase less valuable than a purchase with another available currency at the gas station?
With funding it can work, otherwise Seeds could mostly devaluate because people only use it for regenerative products to get the beneficial regenerative valuation, while they use another currency for the products with non-beneficial regenerative valuation.

For this reason I believe regenerative valuation of Seeds only works for people that feel abundance and that represent the regenerative values of Seeds. Or… If Seeds would have an expiry date. I am working on a proposal that involves both:
Integrating regenerative valuation into the SEEDS Basic Income I am proposing to co-create could change this situation. This might therefore be an interesting location to prototype the regenerative valuation of Seeds. I described the potential of regenerative valuation at this project in the document of the proposal.

I have a feeling that the regenerative valuation of Seeds requires to partner with a whole bunch of other (blockchain) projects that are capable of following, measuring and collecting data of supply chains and that the creation of the right algorithms to turn this data into valuation is going to be a very exciting and very big challenge that is going to blow our minds for a good amount of time. It would be very interesting to use any data we can gain to just start giving everything a second valuation. In this way, without changing the price of things, we can share the actual regenerative value of things in order to make people aware of what their purchase is involved with.

My opinion on your question here @IndraWouivre is that only the buyer benefits or pays from/for the valuation change. The benefit for the seller is that it becomes more interesting for the product to be bought if the seller sells a more regenerative product. Now the seller is going to receive the original price without regenerative valuation change. If the seller receives less than the seller is going to stop accepting Seeds and if the seller receives more than Seeds would again have another incentive to devaluate + that the game-guide already has a way of rewarding regenerative organizations. Do I explain my opinion clearly and what do you think about this @LaLaGardens ?

Another way to look at regenerative valuation is with exponential cost schemes. This is especially interesting with finite resources.

Even drinkable water is a finite resource today since it can not always be recreated before all fresh and cleaned water is used (e.g. South Africa has a mayor problem with this). The exponential principle can work with all finite resources of which it is possible to measure the use over time.

Drinkable water is a good example of something that is both finite and measurable over time (e.g. many people have a water meter that measures how much water they are using at home).

Lets say we are talking about a household and you need e.g. 500 liters of drinkable water per person per year to survive. 5000 liters to live in a generally accepted level of luxury and 50.000 liters to do lots of bathing and to take care of your garden with water from the tap. Etc.

Everyone needs drinkable water, but it is also a finite resource that we have to use with care. So, when looking at regenerative valuation with the amounts mentioned above, it would be fair if the first 500 liters of water are cheaper than the last 500 liters of water. The first 500 liters is what someone needs to survive, while the last 500 liters of water are luxury consumption of a finite resource. This is especially interesting to charge organizations with high water consumption in their production processes.

With an exponential scheme on water pricing, the principle to make the first liters cheaper than the last can be applied.

E.g. for a household
Liters 0 - 500 per person are 1.5 Seeds per 10 liters
Liters 500 - 1000 are 1.5^2 = 2.25 Seeds per 10 liters
Liters 1000 - 1500 are 1.5^3 = 3.375 Seeds per 10 liters
Liters 1500 - 2000 are 1.5^4 ≈ 5 Seeds per 10 liters
Liters 2000 - 2500 are 1.5^5 ≈ 7.6 Seeds per 10 liters
Liters 4500 - 5000 are 1.5^10 ≈ 57 Seeds per 10 liters

The closer the base number is to 1, the slower the price will grow which the growth of the amount. Different formulas can serve different products and different situations.

What do you think?

1 Like

I have a gut level reaction to any suggestion to limit diversity by a systematic address of complex adaptive systems. There must be a diversity of approach and I do see this kind of data gathering and interpretation as a kind of mapping and many maps are valuable in navigating what is essentially new territory or new wilderness. Then it’s the overlap (the margins where life IS)
which brings the spice of new ways to understand where we are, together.

1 Like

I think its brilliant to think about relative value for sellers (in this example, the gas station owner). If the value increased according to vender choice, and that value compensates for the added difficulty in establishing new Regen vendors, it could steer decisions on a strictly financial consieration and balance any loss in value for offering said soda at a reduced value (even with dollar). It becomes a game to gain greatest value coming and going.

It makes sense from a sellers perspective if the price received in seeds for ordering from the same ol’ local supply chain remains consistent with the dollar so the choice to engage a regenerative distribution system becomes exponentially of greater value. So they receive dollar equivalent, plus plus to initiate the change. Seeds used to buy Regen supply is more valuable creates more flow, so increases demand for the very thing that is worth more in searching out or being open to alternatives. Maybe there is a local food hub which receives added value in Stewarding distribution. Distribution is the NUMBER ONE deterrent to scalability beyond the tried and true and very flawed local farmers’ market. Solving this bottle neck, solves many issues.

So specific to your question here, the seller receives dollar value for all so no accepting ‘less value’ …the ‘more’ or greater value comes from an increased Regen vauation reflected in Seeds price.