Discovery Mission: Value Streams weaving into Badges

Hello fellow explorers :wave:t4:

following up from outer space episode 4, I heard several voices for additional metrics, badges, journey celebrations and community building. For me right now these topics are deeply intertwined and this might change overtime as we travel along.

And while I came from a different angle I can hear a call for badges and/or value streams to be birthed. Here are some first thoughts I would like to bring to the conversation

What if token distribution doesn’t work on ‘project basis’ but tokens are allocated via different value streams and members/orgs within DAC who contribute to these value streams?

You will need to have certain badges to receive value from a stream, e.g. my friend Winnie in Kenya plants trees with students at their schools.

When we look at our multiple capitals below, Winnie contributed to all six capitals simply by planting trees with students at their schools. So she could receive badges for all six capitals.

By sharing stories to her fellow DAC SEEDizens she can receive contribution points that will count towards her token share of the moon cycle. Instead of the usual emoji we react to posts by using 6 emojis for the different capitals. Depending on which emojis SEEDizens choose, Winnie will receive X amount of Seeds into her wallet.

Maybe the badges could be value streams? :woman_shrugging:

I believe that by rewarding participants through value streams instead of project based, the time spent preparing proposals and grant applications in SEEDS and in the real world could go to valuable contributions to heal Mother Earth and people.

I would like to propose to explore the multiple capitals first in order to define additional metrics, badges and maybe even value streams for DAC.

Tagging fellow explorers who might like to be involved in this discovery: @apostol @MaxVBohn @mbh66 @julioholon

:seedling: :sparkles:

6 Likes

Carrying on the conversation from Section 1 Harvest Thread (from Session 5) :thread:

I feel we might need to take a step back and ask questions around who is the game guide for: Who are our audiences and what are their needs?

For me it comes back to value streams to seed and nurture our multiple capital. Each value stream consists of liquidity pool(s), community fund(s), contribution score and badges.

So what is a value stream?
And why could it be useful for us, when we bring our heart and mind to the game guide?

From wikipedia:

Purpose of value streams: Value streams are a component of the business ecosystem that describe how a stakeholder – often a customer – receives value from an organization. As opposed to many previous attempts at describing stakeholder value, value streams take the perspective of the initiating or triggering stakeholder rather than an internal value chain or process perspective. From this outside-in view, value streams can be cross-mapped to enable business capabilities that describe what and how, respectively, an organization must do to deliver value to the stakeholder.

When I try to translate it into the SEEDS ecosystem context this is what comes to mind:
Value Streams are one component of the SEEDS ecosystem that describe how SEEDizens receive value from within and outside the SEEDS ecosystem from Nano to Supra level. Value Streams take a need based human/community/nature centred perspective. They help bridge the different levels by cross-mapping, and building our multiple capitals; basically the what and the how for each of our multiple capitals.

continued from wikipedia:

Components of a value stream: Value streams represent end-to-end views on how value is achieved for a given external or internal stakeholder. Value streams are named with a definition of the value proposition provided to stakeholders. Stakeholders within a value stream can take two forms:

• A triggering stakeholder is the person or organization that initiates and, as a rule, participates in the value stream.
  • A participating stakeholder is a person or organization that either provides or facilitates aspects of the value delivered in the value stream, or that may receive ancillary value from the value stream.

Additionally, value streams are composed of value stream stages, which represent iterative value items that are accrued to deliver value throughout the value stream, ultimately delivering a value proposition.

When I think about value stream stages, @LaLaGardens beautiful reference to nature gets me up dancing; celebrating BioFilms in FAB populations and how they evolves for the sole purpose of storing water in the soil. :dancer:

5 Likes

A proposal for cross mapping :world_map:

If we think of our multiple capital as value streams, I propose we co-draft value propositions provided to participants (stakeholder) of each level.

In order to do this mapping exercise we probably would need to first establish an understanding of who the participants are of each level. Who is our civilization made of (looking at all forms of life)? I could imagine there is already wisdom created within MBC and/or other circles.

1. Who are the participants in each level?
Please add to the audience/level spreadsheet here: RE - level/audience mapping - Google Sheets

2. What is the value proposition of each value stream for each participant group?
While I think we have a lot of this in our minds, it is probably helpful to bring it to paper to deeply harvest from our collective intelligence.

3. Based on these value propositions per participant groups we can define how participants can contribute to seed and nurture our multiple capital, and be rewarded for their contribution. I feel the collective wisdom that will emerge is crucial when we look at the game guide.

4. Selecting participants groups we want to explore deeper for now (who are the ones closest to our hearts, where do we have existing bridges); which could take out some of the complexity but still being able to look at our interconnected relationships (impact) holistically.

5 Likes

I hope it makes sense how I tried to express myself. And maybe it is a valuable exercise.

I believe in answering these questions we will be able to:

bring sense into the complexity of our challenge
develop value propositions for different audiences
tell stories that address audiences’ needs
birth a framework for exploration groups

Very curious to see what comes to life for you?
:seedling::compass::green_heart:

2 Likes

Hi Kath, just reading your suggestion. And yes, value streams would also in my point of view be a good guidance for creating batches. I would even go further and look at the impact streams.

Something like: from value chain to impact chain.

The challenge with impact is again to measure it.

2 Likes

Hi Kath,

I looked at the google sheet and asked myself if it might be also helpful to look at different industries as they have different needs.
Eg. Food or health

I like that you propose this way of doing the ground work (foundation).

1 Like

I‘d like to combine this with impact also as stated I’m not sure about the measurement of direct and indirect impact. Any ideas?

I like your proposal and ask my self how to keep it easy and still addressing the valuable points you bring up

1 Like

Oh I like this Melanie :raised_hands: Value streams and maybe even impact mapping? :rainbow:

Love it that you bring up measuring impact and probably if we would have had this conversation a year ago I would have been all for it, meaning trying to solve the measuring part first. Back then I set up data driven marketing frameworks for non profits, so it was my daily bread.

My relationship to measurements has changed and while I think it is an important part, I now feel that whatever wants to be measured will evolve, and I am actively trying to change my own view point of what we should measure and how should we do it.

I was in a deep conversation series about ‘value and values’ over on the Earth Regenerators network and we talked about measurements vs. mapping and their interdependencies. Our conversation went into qualitative vs. quantitative measurements. In that context we were exploring the question of ‘what we measure’. Modern society tends to measure so called dead matter; i.e. money, profit, data, transactions.

Still all very alive in me. The question I took with me from these very rich and deep gatherings is:

What if our value (impact) is life? And how can we measure/map the well-being/health of living systems?

Please let me share some snippets from the conversation as they guide my thought process at the moment.

The mapping is going to map well being, health. How do you know if the circulatory system is healthy? How do you know if the lungs are healthy, if the immune system is strong? These are the kind of measurements that are much more qualitative than quantitative.

The understanding of health is nuanced. We have to make a system that accommodates nuances.

To circle in our conversations here in RE and the wider SEEDS ecosystem, I am trying to understand what role SEEDS, us SEEDizen and Seeds (our currency) can play in a pragmatic way rather than aspirational. What seems to appear for me is the role of an activator for the transition between old and new world/paradigm. Your analogy of being a palliative care nurse and a midwife at the same time comes up often in my flow of thoughts, so does @mbh66 call for bridging the gap to the ‘real world’ (value in) as well as Anneloes’ contribution when she said ‘We are building a civilization’.

All still very unformed but alive in me right; I hope this flow of thoughts helps and speaks to you. :thread::green_heart:

2 Likes

I looked at the google sheet and asked myself if it might be also helpful to look at different industries as they have different needs.
Eg. Food or health

A powerful yes to also look at industry; thank you for adding this layer - it was so not on my radar. I can see us diving deep into the different needs to then understand if and how these needs can be grouped into value propositions.

I am wondering if this kind of exploration (or similar) has been done or is happening somewhere else within SEEDS/Hypha? Would you know if there is wisdom we can build on? Asking here the RE core team @apostol @anahealingwords @MaxVBohn @Rieki @julioholon :thinking:

I like that you propose this way of doing the ground work (foundation).

Thank you Melanie :pray::green_heart:

2 Likes

I cannot tell you, Kath, how much these words inspire me - I soooo agree.

Have you come across the work of Ralph Thurm and Bill Baue of R3.0? I know Anneloes knows them well and I believe Rieki does too. Their GTAC (Global Thresholds and Allocation) model is one which I’m sure we will put to solid use in Seeds Tcubed projects.

In other words, a combination of:
Corporates+ESG+Seeds+Restor+GTAC = a very plausible pragmatic way forward, methinks…

Here is a link to relevant work Ralph has already put out: Ralph Thurm on Roam Research.

On a somewhat related note, I had a really interesting call with a UK-based executive coach yesterday, who I met almost 12 years ago in London. He is a non-exec director for 15 companies. He has received an environment award from Prince Charles. His wife received an OBE from the queen. In other words, they are fairly well connected.

I wanted to know from him whether the announcements about climate change taxes I’m expecting actually would be announced at COP26 in November. Although he doesn’t know the details, he confirmed that something along those lines will definitely be announced.

I then wanted to know whether SEEDS projects would help CEOs with their commitments, and he was ecstatic. He gave me all sorts of pointers as to how to handle the governance - very useful. But bottom line, he sees this as a HUGE opportunity.

From our Otter.ai transcript (regarding ESG, his words): "arguably it’s going to become the dominant capital flow movement of this decade."

Just wanted to share so that you know the ESG angle is going to be a very effective way of pragmatically getting fiat to flow into Seeds.

3 Likes

:dancer:t4: :dancer:t4: :dancer:t4:
dancing while processing
:dancer:t4: :dancer:t4: :dancer:t4:

2 Likes

Thanks for this inspiration and impulse. I am often very reluctant when it comes to measurements. As people tent to sell and trade everything that has a price tag instead of using the information more wisely.

I like the idea of mapping and spontaneously I feel this (what ever it will be) could have a place in the codex development. A map combined with the stars and a compass are wonderful and helpful tools to navigate.

This is what could be one part of the missing link @mbh66 often speaks about. Corporates navigate differently, as well as politicians, activists, artists or anyone else does. And still we use the same map. So it seems to me very important to get the mapping right. If it is a value and impact based map which might even be founded in the thinking of a circular (economy) world everyone can navigate in a way they like. Per design this should then always be good for everyone.

Having said this: how do we bring all of this together?

As @MaxVBohn rightly stated in another forum discussion we might need a DHO that stewards value based money flows. I consciously use the term of value based money flows which includes for me responsible and impactful money flows as well as the flow itself. Money needs to flow and we in SEEDS could become important stewards for regenerative money flows.

Money is just the agreement we made to organise the (economic) world. Not more not less. My feeling is that we would have the group that could design this kind of „Money flow wisdom circle DHO“ if not already a group of people is working on this where we can feed this in.
@Kath.PlanetHive @anahealingwords @Rieki @MaxVBohn : who do wee need to include to get this from a forum discussion to a blueprint of a DHO? Respectively who is already working on this?

2 Likes

Good question. I‘d like to add another question?

What if we have forgotten that the „measure“ for our life, which is our real value (impact) is time and if we are currently learning who to use our time more wisely then than we as a society (speaking for my culture) did the last 5000 years?

2 Likes

As far as I can tell, it’s this group that’s forming here…

This obviously plays into 🧭 Expedition into community building - #37 by Kath.PlanetHive

This shows very well the trouble of dealing with an holistic world view - everything is connected :)))

Metrics and measurements for life need to be very complex, so that they almost loose practical application. When it comes to value it’s even more complex since it is so very subjective.

I personally would not agree with time being our real value simply because the quality of time is not always the same. The clock might tick the same speed, but how we perceive it, how enjoyable and rich these moments of life are differs.

Filtering out what we value most as people generally and connecting their flow with themselves and entities of this world (Humans, Animals, Plants, Earth, Water etc.) could be a simplified version that maintains some holistic value-impact-flow for easier understanding.

But that is something we might talk about tomorrow in the call.

To answer the DHO question:
As far as I know no one has really been working on it. Rieki attempted to motivate people to do so but there are just too many things going on and people with the capacity to take on this level of complexity are rare.
It is a vital part though for SEEDS to establish (e.g. for the Contribution score, Organization ratings etc.) to really achieve what it wants to.

The DHO can be created just by saying it. There is no official route one has to take but I am happy to be there to assist with the setup.

3 Likes

What if we created a token backed by the value of an average person’s lifetime? Like the dollar was at one point backed by gold, but this time backed by the awesome value of each person’s potential. I know this is too much on the aspirational side, but it’s a thought I keep having…

2 Likes

I went on an unexpected but truly exciting discovery yesterday. It was probably the most powerful, wholesome and magical experience I had since I joined SEEDS and you all had a line in the song I was listening to while dancing around a fire. :dancer:

Samara was there, everyone from Samara was there but in particular you @Bongi :revolving_hearts:

Please have a read when you have a moment, I called the experience Rediscovering my burning flame for Samara :fire:

The question that came back to me several times since last night is:
Does this discovery mission want to be born as a Samara Quest?

To everyone who haven’t had a chance to read The Chronicles of Samara or watch the Samara gathering with Emily Lane from about 4 month ago, please do so. Especially the session with Emily. Magical :sparkles:

I leave my experience and the question that came to me here, eagerly awaiting how this question dances with you, with Samara and the wider SEEDS ecosystem.

Tagging everyone who was singing a line or two for me last night: @MaxVBohn @Melanie @mbh66 @Bongi @anahealingwords @Rieki @twakefield14 @guyjames @joaoestellita

Aroha mai. Aroha atu. :green_heart:
Kath

5 Likes

I can feel your energy, Kath - beautiful!!! :man_dancing:

Wow, wow, wow. I had no idea the depth you’re exploring in Samara. Truly powerful stuff.

I’ve added a Table of Contents as a comment to the video, which I’ll replicate here for those who want to skip the uncomfortable first 4 mins.
[04:40]: Emily joins
[09:20]: Attendee intros
[15:45]: Moment of silence
[18:00]: Check-in round
[23:45]: Emily’s background
[30:35]: How Emily works
[33:40]: Question from Emily - Do you feel you have clarity as a collective?
[34:15]: Slide from Emily - Inception Point
[41:00]: Opportunity for questions
[43:00]: Questions start
[89:15]: Emily’s closing
[96:00]: Internal discussion
:heartbeat:

3 Likes

Hello wonderful dancer @Kath.PlanetHive,

Thank you for sharing. Thank you for all your passion and work.

I feel you found something very powerful and important, precious and beautiful last night.

And yes, our visions seem to go in a similar direction. I just don‘t have the right words and the clear form yet.

:rainbow::dancer: :man_dancing::bug::butterfly::rainbow:

1 Like

Hmmm…
Did you ever read the book Momo by Michael Ende?

I read it several times and I don’t get why the people started to sell their „ hour flowers“
My fear is that humans will sell there time even more than they already to by doing work that does not nurture them for money.

But maybe I read the book to often